- Don’t shout or scream as loud noises can distress rabbits as they have sensitive ears
- Take their shoes off to the risk of stepping on your rabbit
- Only give your rabbit it’s normal food, don’t feed it sweets or chocolate
- Remember rabbits can scratch and bite when stressed so be careful
- Let your rabbit come to you, it may not like being picked up stroked or cuddled
with new people in your house.
If your rabbit starts taking an interest in your ornaments you will need to move these out of reach. They are often made of materials that can be easily ingested which can cause gastrointestinal problems.
It’s best to move decorations and ornaments out of reach before your rabbit takes an interest in them. Once their curiosity is sparked is likely they will keep returning to an ob-ject no matter how many times you say NO! Many synthetic materials used in decorations can be easily chewed and ingested which can cause gastrointestinal problems. Even some of the more natural looking materials can be harmful as they can be treated with fire re-tardant materials. It’s best to plan ahead and set the decorations out on high shelves to ensure they are out of harm’s way.
Please remember to keep candles out of reach, your rabbit could either burn its whiskers off or worse burn itself if it hops or reaches over an exposed flame. Don’t place candles on anything that can be knocked over or on something that can be tugged at by your rabbit resulting in the candle toppling over. Be mindful of ornaments that you place can-dles in, as these can also get hot.
It’s important to keep chocolate out of reach of your rabbit. If your rabbit only eats a small piece then you could be lucky and no harm may come of it. But if your rabbit eats a large amount of chocolate, then this could be quite serious and result in an emergency visit to the vets. Sugary sweets are also no good for rabbits and if left out may cause harm, alongside this if the wrappers are eaten they can cause issues.